5 Incredible Tips to Fight Hair Loss in 2013
It is normal to shed about 50 to 100 hair strands per day. However, if the amount of hair that you lose per day exceeds that amount- you are facing an excessive hair loss problem – a situation that can be highly stressful. Therefore, before you invest in hair creams or go for hair extensions- it is advisable to try these home remedies in improving your diet and changing your life style. Here are top 5 incredible tips for hair loss:
1) Avoid heating tools, hair dyes and tight hairstyles
Your hair deserves special care and attention. Using hot blow dryers, straightening irons or curling rods can weaken the hair proteins and constant heating and drying can lead to brittleness and fragility that causes hair loss even in the most voluminous of hair. Do not subject your hair to any chemical treatments or hot brushes too often. Using heating tools too closely to the scalp can permanently damage hair follicles. Natural drying is best for your hair- your aim should be to dry it naturally instead of blow-drying with heat. Slow down the frequency with which you dye your hair- never dye your hair more often than 6 weeks. Avoid hairstyles that require tight pulling and elastic clips such as tight ponytails, braiding tightly, twists and buns. Also, avoid haircuts with layers or steps that lose a lot of hair when you are already experiencing hair loss.
2) Get your stress under control
High stress negatively influences your entire body- one of the first signs of stress show on your head and result in hair fall. Stress occurs when you are worrying too much. Having a good night’s sleep – 8 hours at least, getting ample physical activity, having a relaxing time with friends or family, doing yoga and breathing exercises and filling your mind with positive thoughts can all help counter stress. You will see that when you lead a happy life your hair fall would also stop.
3) Maintain a Nutritional Diet
It is common sense that incorporating nutritional foods in your diet would prevent hair loss. It would keep you, your hair and your scalp healthy. It is possible that hair loss can be slowed by a healthy diet filled with fruits and vegetables. The following nutrients are beneficial in minimizing hair loss:
- Iron- iron is an essential mineral for keeping hair healthy. Good sources of iron include beef, live, fish, leafy greens, fortified cereal, beans, and pumpkin seeds. Vegetarians may experience a lack of iron more than non-vegetarians may.
- Protein: Protein is very important for strong hair. Protein contains amino acids that strengthen hair. Good sources of protein include Seafood, chicken, fish, milk, cheese, yogurt, eggs, beans, soy and lean beans. Vegetarians and vegans can get protein from tofu, whole wheat bread, peanut butter, brown rice, lentils, broccoli, potatoes etc.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C helps the absorption of iron and are usually taken in combination with iron. Good sources of vitamin C include oranges, lemons, green leafy vegetables, salad, baked potatoes, tomatoes etc.
- Omega 3: Omega 3 makes the hair lustrous and voluminous preventing it from becoming dry and brittle- good sources include salmon, tuna, mackerel, flax seeds and walnuts
- Zinc: Zinc is very important for hair nourishment. Good sources include: Peanut butter, turkey, pumpkin seeds, lean beef and oysters
- Biotin: Biotin, also known as vitamin B is an important source for healthy hair. Good sources include brewer’s yeast, bulgur wheat, lentils, sunflower seeds, soybeans and walnuts.
4) Take supplements
Maintaining a healthy high nutrient diet along with taking supplements would minimize the rate of hair loss. Taking one 100 mg vitamin b6 tablet once a day will help maintain not only your hair but also your nails and skin. Additionally it would also help the production of red blood cells. You can also take supplements of biotin, inositol, iron, vitamin C and saw palmetto. Saw Palmetto is an herbal remedy that stimulates the production of testosterone so it is recommended for men only- experts believe that it also stimulates hair growth in men.
5) Drink Plenty of water
Drinking up to eight glasses of water per day is necessary but if you can consume up to 10 to 12 then that is ideal to fight hair loss. Having more water in your body will help flush out toxins via your urine. When you drink more water your body uses more energy to flush out toxins which could be harming your scalp. This would in turn help lessen hair loss. Before undergoing any last resort treatments such as a hair transplant surgery or laser hair treatment, you should try remedial measures to prevent hair loss. However, if your situation is genetically pre-determined and none of these tips works then consulting a cosmetic surgeon would be the best option.